Abatements - How & When to Apply

When to Apply

If you feel that your property has been overvalued, disproportionately assessed, or incorrectly classified, or is exempt from taxation, you may apply to the Assessors for an abatement. Applications cannot be submitted until after the Actual Tax Bills are issued (late December).

How to Apply

Abatement applications, which must be filed for each and every tax year being contested, must be filed and received in the Assessors Office after the third-quarter tax bills have been mailed and no later than February 1. The Assessors cannot act on any abatement applications received after February 1. Forms are available in the Assessors Office. The full tax due must be paid by February 1 to avoid interest charges. For questions, please call the Assessors' Office at 413-259-3024.

Click here to access the Abatement of Real and Personal Property Form