Dickinson Local Historic District Study Committee
The Local Historic District Study Committee, established under the provision of Massachusetts General Law Chapter 40C and appointed by the Select Board, has proposed that the Dickinson National Historic Register District be included in a local historic district. Local historic districts regulate changes to exterior architectural features visible from a public way and have
the ability to prevent demolitions and inappropriate alterations within a district. After investigating and assessing the historic significance of buildings, structures, features, and context of the neighborhood, the committee prepared a preliminary study report, including draft bylaw and rules and regulations that were submitted to the Massachusetts Historical Commission and the Amherst Planning Board for their review and recommendations.
Following this review process, the committee will hold a public hearing on Thursday, April 26, 2012 at 7 p.m. in the Large Activity Room of the Bangs Community Center. The public hearing is a an opportunity to hear from citizens and gather opinions about the proposed district. In order for the district to be adopted, it must be approved by a 2/3 majority vote at Town Meeting.
- Massachusetts Historical Commission letter in support of district - 04.24.2012
- Map of Proposed District
- Preliminary Study Report
- Draft Bylaw as of 05.02.2012
- Draft Rules and Regulations
- Summary Points and FAQs-submitted to Planning Board at their March 21, 2012 Meeting
Public HearingAccording to M.G.L. 40C Sec 3, the Local Historic District Study Committee will hold a public hearing on Thursday, April 26 at 7 p.m. in the Large Activity Room in Bangs Community Center (70 Boltwood Walk) to hear from residents of the proposed district and local citizens about the preliminary study report, districty map and bylaw, and rules and regulations. Comments can be submitted in writing to Nathaniel Malloy, Associate Planner, Town of Amherst, Town Hall, 4 Boltwood Ave or by email at email@example.com. Copies of documents are available upon request.
- Massachusetts Historical Commission’s publication page (scroll down to section “Local Governments”) - all the links there provide information about Local Historic Districts
- Massachusetts General Law Ch. 40C
- Amherst Media - the Planning Board reviewed the preliminary study report on 3/07 and 3/21 (Amherst Media will eventually make those meetings available online)
Minutes & AgendasMost Recent Agenda | All Agendas
Most Recent Minutes | All Minutes
|| Year Appointed
|| Term Expiration