Recycling - Solid Waste
MissionTo operate a solid waste transfer and recycling facility and to promote programs that are viable alternatives to landfilling.
FY21 Transfer Station Stickers
Transfer Station Stickers are available to Amherst, Pelham and Shutesbury residents!
Renewal forms are also available at the Transfer Station. Paper forms must be completed and submitted using one of the following options:
- Purchased at Transfer Station (cash or check, exact amount only)
- Mailed to Amherst DPW, 586 So. Pleasant St, Amherst MA 01002 (check only)
- Returned to the blue drop box in the Amherst DPW entry (check only)
Once your form and payment is processed, you should receive your sticker within a few days.
Transfer Station and COVID-19
The Town continues to keep the Transfer Station open to the public. The following changes will begin on Thursday, May 21st.
The Transfer Station will only accept checks and exact cash for all services. Have your payment ready to go to limit time in the office.
The following services will not be available:
-Salvation Army drop box.
-Take it or leave it
The following service will be restricted:
Mattress and Box Spring disposal will be limited to a total of 4 per customer a day. Companies that need to dispose of more can make an appointment by calling 259-3050 ext 0. Appointments will be made on Wednesday and Fridays.
All other items will be accepted. Please remember that the Transfer Station is not as busy in the morning hours.
The changes implemented at the Transfer Station are either due to closure of facilities that receive these items, or to maintain safety for both Amherst employees and Transfer Station visitors. We are working hard to provide services, yet minimize customer time spent at the Transfer Station. To that end, please remember these important tips:
• Social distancing shall be observed. Masks should be worn at all times if social distancing is not possible.
• Minimize trips to the Transfer Station as much as possible to reduce the number of customers on-site at any time.
• Organize materials prior to arriving at the facility to minimize the time spent on-site. Have things presorted and ready to be disposed of.
• Do not linger at the Transfer Station; it is not a location to catch up with neighbors or friends.
These changes will stay in effect until further notice. Remember the protection of our employees and facility users are most important to us.
Please call 413-259-3050 if you have any questions
Receive Email Alerts and Reminders about Waste and Recycling
If you would like notification about waste and recycling-related news and events, sign up for one of the waste-related options of the Town's "Notify Me" feature. Residents and stakeholders who have signed up will receive email or text messages when related information is released.