Board of License Commissioners
Marian Walker, Chair
|Gaston de los Reyes||01/28/2019||01/28/2021|
Liquor License Quota Report as of 10/25/19 (PDF)
Section 6.3 of the Amherst Home Rule Charter adopted on March 27, 2018 establishes a Board of License Commissioners.
In accordance with the Town Charter, the Board of License Commissioners:
“shall have the power to issue licenses for innholders or common victuallers, the powers of a licensing board appointed under Massachusetts General Laws Chapter 138, Section 4, and shall be the licensing authority for the purposes of Massachusetts General Laws Chapters 138 and 140. The Board shall have all powers with respect to other licenses for which the Town has statutory and regulatory authority unless otherwise assigned to another Town office or officer by general law. The Board of License Commissioners may grant licenses relating to alcoholic beverages under Massachusetts General Laws Chapter 138 and those licenses under Massachusetts General Laws Chapter 140 which are not, by the provisions of said Chapter, placed within the jurisdiction of another Town officer or agency.”
The Board of License Commissioners will provide for the issuance of the following licenses:
- Alcohol licenses MGL Ch. 138, Sec. 12, Sec. 14, and Sec. 15
- Common Victuallers licenses MGL Ch. 140, Sec. 2
- Live entertainment licenses MGL Ch. 140, Sec. 183A
- Inn Holders licenses MGL Ch. 140, Sec. 2
- Auto Dealer licenses MGL Ch. 140, Sec. 59
- Second Hand Sales licenses MGL Ch. 140, Sec. 54
- Coin Operated Machine licenses MGL Ch. 140, Sec. 177A
- Lunch Cart licenses MGL Ch. 140, Sec. 49
In addition, the Board of License Commissioners will provide for the issuance of the following licenses. The list may be amended by the Town Manager with the approval of the Town Council:
- Fuel Storage licenses MGL Ch. 148, Sec. 13
- Auction permits MGL Ch. 100, Sec. 1-10
- Taxi licenses (business/driver) MGL Ch. 40, Sec. 22
- Keno notices MGL Ch. 10, Sec. 27A
- Keg licenses Amherst General Bylaws, Sec. 3.31
- Collecting and Dealing in Used Articles licenses Amherst General Bylaws, Sec. 3.38
- Pawnbrokers licenses Amherst General Bylaws, Sec. 3.44
- Retail Marijuana licenses (if enacted)
- Medical Marijuana licenses (if enacted)
Section 6.3 of the Amherst Home Rule Charter states:
The Board of License Commissioners shall consist of 5 voters appointed by the Town Manager and confirmed by the Town Council as provided in Section 2.11. Members shall serve for 3-year terms. No person while a member of the Board of License Commissioners shall have any financial interest, directly or indirectly, in the sale or distribution of alcoholic beverages, marijuana, or any regulated substance that may come under the purview of the Board of License Commissioners in any form.
The Inspection Services department will provide primary support to the Board. In addition, other departments including the Building Inspector, the Director of Public Health, the Fire Chief, the Police Chief, the Planning Director, and the Economic Development Director shall advise the Board of License Commissioners when requested.
The Board of License Commissioners shall make an annual report to the Town Council.