Working cooperatively within the Inspection Services Department, a team of Public Health and Inspection professionals are responsible for protecting the public’s health, disease control and prevention, as well as promoting sanitary living conditions to ensure the maximum quality of life for residents and visitors in the Town of Amherst.
In conjunction with the Board of Health, Inspection Services issues a variety of permits and licenses pertaining to public health and safety. The licenses and permits range from food and tobacco licenses to recreational camp and septic system permits. Any fees associated with a license or permit is due with your application and are payable by check to The Town of Amherst.
- New Guidance Issued for Construction Sites in Amherst - on April 10, 2020
- New Guidance Issued for Grocery Stores - on April 10, 2020
Health Licenses are annual and must be renewed before January 1 of each calendar year.
Health Licenses can be applied for on our online application portal.
This includes the following licenses:
- Bed and Breakfast Licenses
- Body Arts Establishment Licenses
- Body Arts Technician Licenses
- Food Establishment Licenses
- Public Hot Tub/Spa/Pool Licenses
- Ice Rink Licenses
- Mobile Food Licenses
- Removal of Offal Licenses
- Removal of Rubbish Licenses
- Septic Installer's Licenses
- Tanning Salon Licenses
Body Arts Licenses
Food Establishment Licenses
Workers Compensation Affidavit (PDF)
Health Permits are not renewable. Health Permits are often issued for a specific time period in conjunction with a special event or project.
- Farmer's Market Permit (PDF)
- Recreational Camp Permit
- Application for a License to Operate a Recreational Camp for Children (PDF) New
- 2017 Guidelines for Operating a Children's Recreational Camp in Amherst (PDF) New
- State Regulations for Recreational Camps (PDF)
- Camp Consultant Agreement (PDF)
- Camp Injury Report (PDF)
- Camp Medication Parent Authorization (PDF)
- Fire Protection Inspection Checklist (PDF)
- Immunization Form (PDF)
- Sani-Can/Portable Toilets Permit (PDF)
- Temporary Food Service (PDF)
- Well Construction Permit (PDF)
- Water Supply Certificate (PDF)
- Workers Compensation (PDF)
The Amherst General By-law, Animal Welfare: Section 8, requires some property owners to register an application with the Inspectional Services Department outlining any intention to keep livestock and/or poultry on your property. Applications will be reviewed and an inspection of the premise will be completed by the Animal Wellness Officer before any permit can be issued. A complete application including a $10.00 registration fee should be submitted to the Amherst Inspectional Services Department.
Registering Your Livestock and Poultry
The Amherst Board of Health has adopted regulations intended to ensure all Private Wells, including private drinking water, agricultural and ground source heat pump geothermal wells, are constructed and maintained in a manner contributing to the protection and quality of Amherst's groundwater resources.
Well Construction Permit (PDF)
Water Supply Certificate (PDF)
If you have made the decision to institute a wood burning system in your home, understanding the basic principles of safe and proper wood burning techniques lessens any nuisance or threat to the public's health.
The Amherst Board of Health has adopted regulations requiring Wood Burning Device Operators to be licensed. There is no fee associated with this process.
Wood Burning Packet