Parking in Amherst
Updated rates (how much you pay per hour), updated enforcement hours and updated time limits (how long you can stay in one space) across Downtown Amherst make parking easy to find. New signage makes it easier to ensure you are parked in the appropriate spots for your stay and ensures you are complying with the parking restrictions for that area.
Not sure where to park? Our Interactive Map can help!
Pay by license plate machines are replacing pay by numbered space machines in Municipal lots.
See the Pay-By-Plate page for more detailed information, including an instructional video on how to use the new machines.
Parking Tickets are due 21 days from the date of issue. Payments can be made four ways:
- Online using our secure online bill paying feature: Pay Bills Online
- Tickets are available for payment the following business day after issue. Tickets issued on a Friday or Saturday will be available the following Monday (excluding Holidays)
- Dropped in our secure Drop Box located on the Main Street side of Town Hall
- Mailed to: Town of Amherst, 4 Boltwood Ave, Amherst, MA 01002
- On the first floor of Town Hall at our Central Services Counter
Parking Ticket Appeals are due 21 days from the date of issue. Appeals can be made three ways:
- Online using our Parking Ticket Appeal Form
- Mailed to: Town of Amherst, 4 Boltwood Ave, Amherst, MA 01002 – please include a detailed description as to why you believe your ticket should be appealed
- Emailed to: email@example.com - please include a detailed description as to why you believe your ticket should be appealed
Click here for a full list of parking fines.
Parking violators who have accumulated 5 or more violations that are over 21 days old are subject to having their vehicles booted. Once a vehicle has been booted, the owner of the vehicle has 24 hours to pay their overdue fines in addition to the boot removal fee in order to have the boot removed. If the overdue fines and removal fee are not paid within the 24 hours, the vehicle is then towed at the owner’s expense. The initial boot removal fee is $25; however, each time the same vehicle is booted, the boot removal fee increases by $25.
The Town of Amherst is not liable for any damage occurred to the vehicle during the booting process.
Questions specific to Parking Enforcement? Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.